GlobaLexicon Graduate Work Placement Programme (INTERNSHIP)
Role: Quality Assurance Intern
Main location: Central London, Camden Town
Other locations: Spanish office (Seville), Belgian office (Antwerp)
We are pleased to offer a work placement experience that university students and graduates will find to be extremely useful and fulfilling. This is a great opportunity to gain beneficial experiences from a professional environment in the translation industry.
GlobaLexicon is able to offer placements to students and graduates from both the UK and overseas, all with an interest in learning about and choosing a career path in the translation and language industry. Candidates are offered full training and integration into the company for a minimum of 4 months. Typically, the candidates will be expected to work 5 days a week fulltime.
Why does GlobaLexicon operate a placement programme?
- Training of future linguists, project managers, vendor managers and QA executives
- Provide realistic expectations of what translators and language service companies actually do
- Strengthening the market of freelance translators
- Recruitment and networking opportunities
- Two way learning – because we learn a lot from our placements too!
- To improve the training and employability of graduates and postgraduates
- To strengthen links between GlobaLexicon and graduate/postgraduate programmes
What are the aims of the placement programme?
- To introduce candidates to a real-life language services company environment
- To make candidates aware of the culture and structure of a language services environment and the necessary skills associated with it
- To observe and participate in translation projects and activities appropriate to their competence, building on and extending their translation and language related skills
- To apply skills in the working environment, under pressure and according to deadlines – independently and part of a team.
What is the duration of the placement?
A minimum of four months, on a full time basis. Please note that because we offer full and detailed training, we cannot offer part time placements or placements for less than four months.
What’s in it for students?
- Mentoring/training ‐ named reporting lines and regular formal and informal meetings
- An excellent first step in your career. Placements give you better job prospects and the opportunity to apply your new knowledge and skills in a commercial environment
- Build experience in business practices, handling clients, dealing with problems, negotiating deadlines, estimating jobs, managing budgets, working with CAT tools
- A potential job offer at GlobaLexicon for top performers
We provide a daily allowance of £15 (UK) or €15 (Spain, Belgium) for each day worked in the office, to contribute towards lunch and travel costs; otherwise the placement is unpaid.
Range of work experience
Quality Assurance is a vital step in the translation process, as it ensures the optimal quality of our final products before delivering them to the client. Our company's high quality standards are very appreciated by our clients and renowned in the field, so this is an important aspect.
QA interns mostly focus on ensuring files and contents are fit for delivery after being translated and proofread by our linguists. They also have the chance to get involved in all the other administrative tasks and day-to-day operations of our translation company, and to support PMs in managing projects.
- Quality Assurance – participation in GlobaLexicon’s quality assurance steps to varying degrees; it involves:
- Checking files for inconsistencies, mistakes, typos
- Getting familiar with a wide range of files and services we offer to our clients (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, XML, Overlays, Coding)
- Wide range of languages
- Development of IT skills – network management, MS Office, translation management software, accounting software if appropriate
- Working relationships – development of trust and working relationships between colleagues
- Use of Internet search/glossaries and online dictionaries for terminology
What we expect from candidates
- To conduct themselves professionally, with staff and clients
- To undertake work to a satisfactory standard to the best of their ability
- To maintain a good standard of dress and appearance
- To arrive punctually for work and meetings
- To act within the terms and conditions of our contract